Re: Sv: Balsa 2.5.2 "Failure to sync mailbox xxxx"

On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 04:39:31PM -0500, Fred Smith wrote:
On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 08:00:12AM +0100, Pawel Salek wrote:
Fred,

there are number of reasons syncing mailbox state may fail - exactly
as you figured out! Does anything get printed when you run balsa in
a terminal window?

yes there is, though it wasn't obviously meaningful to me. I'll try again
later on today and see if I can find something there, and will post
some of it to the list for you to see.

here's what appears in the terminal window where balsa was started:

$ balsa

(balsa:19394): Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to register client:
GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by
any .service files
Network is available   (Thu 14 Jan 2016 05:52:30 PM EST)
openjdk version "1.8.0_65"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_65-b17)
[fredex fcshome Desktop]$

the Gtk warning pops up right away when it is started. the openjdk
messages appear when the first mailbox is opened.

I also looked in /var/log/messages and see nothing suspicious there, as
well as some of the other files there just in case messages weren't
being logged where I expected.

I triggered the failure to sync message several times but nothing showed
up here beyond the two groups mentioned above.

I should note that I am using the MATE desktop. However, the system
was originally installed as a Gnome system, and I added MATE (from epel)
after the fact, so all the gnome bits should actually be there (but not,
apparently, actually running).

The hardcore was is to run strace -olog -ff /path/to/balsa and grep
for failed accesses to the mailbox - but this is bit more
demanding...

if nothing else works...

I guess it's time to try strace, since the above steps don't seem to
reveal anything telling. I'll post that separately, later on.

Pawel