Re: configuration question

On 2013.05.01 13:59, Peter Bloomfield wrote:
Hi Jack,

On May  1, 2013, at 11:36 AM, Jack wrote:
I'm on a mailing list (one of many, but the only one where this seems to be a problem for me) where the default reply is to the list instead of to the sender. Most of the time, I want to reply to the sender, not the list, but have not been able to get my brain to remember to check the address before I send, so I usually get it wrong. Does anybody know of any way override the default reply-to for mailing list messages? Is it even possible? Is it worth filing a a wish-list.

In this particular case, there is a "Mailing-List:" header, but I do not see a "Reply-to:" header.

When you hit Reply, Balsa looks for the recipient first in the "Reply-to:" header, if any, and then the "From:" header (as indicated, though not mandated, by RFC 5322). If the offending list doesn't include the "Reply-to:" header, it must be putting itself in the "From:" header, instead of the originator. If it's possible to reply to the originator, the list must be including a "Cc:" header with the originator's address, is that right? What is the "To:" header?

Peter

First - understand that I don't think balsa is doing anything wrong. I would just like to find a way to add a warning to myself that I'm replying to the list and not the sender - even if the list is set up otherwise. This is a yahoo-groups list, and the message includes the following apparently relevant headers (email is just 'x y z', address is '"human name" x y x':

From:     original senders address
To:       list address
Sender:   list email
Mailing-List: "list" list email"; contact " list owner email

So, when I just do a "reply" is it To: list email. When I "reply all" it is To: list email and CC: list address. This is different from, for example, this balsa list, where "reply" is To: sender's address (as in From:) and "reply all" is To: senders address and CC: list email (as in the To: of the message.) The balsa list does not include a "Reply-To:" header.

Again - I think everything is working correctly - I'm just looking for a way to stop myself from not paying enough attention to what I'm doing.

Jack