Re: Balsa can't download a mail with a long line, gets stuck in endless dup-creating loop.

On 2012.10.26 12:31, Rob Landley wrote:
On 10/25/2012 09:05:44 AM, Jack wrote:
options. pop and imap debugging are avaialable. For smtp debugging, I quote from a message to this list from last March: "It is - regretfully - handled in a different way. Mark Preferences/Misc/Debug checkbox."

Aha! _that_ was the reason for the random multi-minute hang in the middle of composing an email yesterday. The "expunge messages if Balsa is unused for 120 minutes and that's as high as that slider goes". It:

A) Doesn't consider typing characters into a message composition window to count as "used".

B) Isn't multithreaded enough to let expunge work without blocking message composition.

(That's my guess, anyway. It spent minutes pegged at 100% cpu, but only on one processor, and it didn't finish displaying the sentence I'd typed when it hung until it had stopped.)

(just noticed because it's also in the miscelaneous menu.)

perhaps someone should add a wishlist to the bugtracker to add a command line parameter for this.