Re: Balsa can't download a mail with a long line, gets stuck in endless dup-creating loop.

On 10/24/2012 04:43:08 PM, Jack wrote:
> Sorry for top posting - its' webmail....  Only addressing  a few
> points.

Given that this is a mailing list about a mail client, and that the
topic of the thread is (more or less) whether or not said
mail client meets its
users'
needs...

If you cursor up into a paragraph and insert in the middle, the
wordwrap due to insertion sticks the last word on its own line, and
then the word after that one its own line, and so on. How has nobody
previously noticed this?

Anyway, the fact you're using webmail could be relevant. Just sayin'.

> That's about the point at which I lost interest, but it looks like
> I'll have to
> get back to it because balsa is... sort of unfinished?
>
> --> As a user, not a developer, I've been using Balsa with great luck
> for many
> years.  There are certainly things that could be improved, but that's
> the case
> with anything.

The wordwrapping logic is one of those things that could be improved.
The above is what "reply all" gave me, unmodified.

>  I'd keep going through the dependencies.  I'm on
> Gentoo, so even
> a package install does a full build so all the dependencies are there
> if I want
> to compile from git.  However, in Ubuntu/xubuntu, you could look at
> the package
> in the Synaptic or other package manager and check the listed
> dependencies.  You
> probably need the -devel version of most of them to compile, but that
> should
> cover most of them.

I installed balsa, its dependencies are resolved. The -devel packages
aren't all direct dependencies, they're dependencies of dependencies.
Since the website doesn't seem to bother to list them, the easy way to
find them is to run configure over and over.

(Luckily I found the --without-gnome option to make the process
slightly less painful.)

i wouldn't bother to report any of my pet peeves to the list if I
didn't think it was fixable, and worth fixing. I'm just a bit surprised
at the rough edges.

> When you cut and paste text, the window doesn't scroll. The first
> email I sent
> had a typo in the smtp configuration and "send queued" seems to be a
> complete
> NOP, so there's an email message in my outbox which just won't send.
>
> --> I've had this problem in the past.  You don't need to toggle
> unread, you
> need to toggle "flagged."  Then a send/receive will actually send it.
> You can
> also edit it (outside of Balsa) in the Outbox.
> [snip...]

It wouldn't send, so I unflagged it. Do I need to re-flag it to get it
to send?

Just tried flagging, unflagging, reflagging, with both a "send queued
mail" and a "send/receive" in between each one. It won't budge.

Rob