gtk3 branch compile questions

Good evening, and Happy Thanksgiving to those that partake...

I'm trying to compile the gtk3 version (although Gentoo still has 3.6 hard masked so I'm still on 3.4). I do have gtkspell3 installed, but pkg-config is calling it gtkspell-3.0 on my system, not gtkspell3, which is what ./configure actually checks for. Is this something configure should be able to handle, or do I need to complain that Gentoo is using a non-standard module name in pkg-config?

Also - thinking of the recent thread where the poster was unable to get balsa to configure with no spell checked at all, setting --disable-gtkspell worked fine, with no spell checker related complaints. I wonder if that problem is specific to the gtk2 branch?

I'm actually sending this from the gtk3 version - with no spell-checker configured.

Jack