Re: Re: Outgoing message truncated at dot wrapped on single line

Hi,

I built the Lavabit mail platform, so if there is a bug in the SMTP implementation its definitely my fault and that means I'll hang my head in shame while I fix it.

On 1:59 PM, Brian Stafford wrote:
If any of you seriously wants to try find the exact source of the
>  misbehaviour and maybe make Balsa compatible with Lavabit’s SMTP
>  server, I am willing to run some more tests (with wireshark or
>  whatever) and strip the results of any personal information, so that
>  can share them. The same goes for the logs of my previous tests.
If there is a genuine bug in the client, I'd be interested in finding
it, however there is only so far one can go with this sort of thing,
beyond which the server needs fixing.

My policy on libesmtp is that I will only fix issues regarding protocol
if it can be demonstrated that it violates RFC normative requirements,
i.e. those stated with MUST or SHOULD.  I will certainly never make a
change that knowingly violates MUST or SHOULD.

Its been several years since I studied the SMTP RFCs, but as I recall the DATA command is terminated supposed to be terminated by a <CRLF>.<CRLF> which is basically a line that only contains a period. To keep the logic simple, messages lines that start with a period are supposed to be dotstuffed; <CRLF>. is converted to <CRLF>.. and the server condenses accordingly. See RFC 2821 section 4.5.2.

Where things get tricky is when a client breaks the rules. When I was first pointed at this thread that's what I thought was happening. Examples include sending <LF>.<LF> or <CRLF>.<LF> or sending <CRLF>. any text followed by <CRLF>, etc. Basically any scenario where a line starts with a period, but does not start with two periods and the complete line is not a single period. In these situations our server does not terminate the DATA command. Instead we keep reading the input stream and looking for a line with a single period.

If this issue hasn't surfaced before now it might be that lines with a single period were being sent as part of a larger TCP packet. In that situation I know some mail servers will continue accepting the input data after the terminator. These systems want the single period termination line to be at the end of a transmission or sent as a separate packet. I believe this behavior is relied on SMTP clients sending a message terminator and properly waiting for a server response. If you submit the test case via netcat to one of these servers you can see this scenario in action. Just be sure the command sequence stops with the message terminator and not a QUIT command. I believe this behavior was never formalized.

The other strategy I've seen is for SMTP servers to simply skip any data that remained in an input buffer following the line termination sequence. This pattern would appear to behave the same. The key difference would be that instead of the message data triggering protocol errors, it would be silently ignored.

I think the ESMTP PIPELINING RFC implicitly destroyed these practices by standardizing how a client is supposed to send multiple commands and/or data using a single TCP transmission. Clients are supposed to wait for server responses following DATA commands. What I don't remember are the RFC details what should happen when clients disobey the grouping rules.

I should also admit there are a number of RFCs after 2821 that could alter aspects of SMTP and the MIME format. Its possible that someone on this list will make me look/feel stupid...

>  Otherwise, I will probably just make a blog post about it and hope
>  that someone on the internet knows how to pass it on to the Lavabit
>  developer team.
My instinct is that there is a serious bug in the Lavabit SMTP
server, workarounds involving tabs on the end of lines just reinforces
this impression.

In writing this email I discovered my code does mishandle lines starting with a single period that contain additional characters before the newline. The RFC says a serer should continue accepting data (which I do) but strip the single starting period from the final message (which I don't). Either way, this is behavior is what makes the tab hack to work.

And yes a user did email us about the blog posting. Over the years issues like this have come up and I've always tried to investigate the reports accompanied by enough details to reproduce the behavior.

Perhaps a better workaround is to submit messages via, say, Gmail or
Yahoo.

I checked out the Postfix implementation to see if my code behaved the same way. I've never met Wietse in person, but my virtual encounters on mailing lists and having seen some his code pasted over the urinal at my favorite bar, I think he's done a good job making Postfix conform to the RFCs. If I run the test case from earlier in this thread against Postfix v2.2.10 (the RHEL mutation of it) using telnet and typing by hand, I see:

[ladar@jenna ~]# telnet localhost 25
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1).
Escape character is '^]'.
220 jenna.jameson.lavabit.com ESMTP Postfix
EHLO localhost
250-jenna.jameson.lavabit.com
250-PIPELINING
250-SIZE 1024000000