emails that hang balsa

Good afternoon,

I have now accumulated a number of emails that "hang" balsa. CPU usage goes to 100%, and my only recourse is to kill the process, either with an explicit kill, or hitting the "x" button and letting the window manager terminate the process.

While I don't blame balsa itself, I'm hoping for some hints on how to troubleshoot, and maybe even find a way that balsa can recover without having to kill it, manually edit the mail file to remove the offending message, and restarting balsa.

Almost all these bad messages happen to be from airline frequent flyer programs (although I have had some from other vendors in the past) and all seem to be HTML without a plain text part. Today's was
and I think most have been similar. Because of the quoted-printable, I have not gotten a clean copy of the html to run through a validator, although I'm quite sure the html is NOT valid. Unfortunately, I have had no success complaining to the folks that send these emails - their help desk folks have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about.

In the most recent case, doing an strace on balsa produced ongoing repeats of
  gettimeofday({1329504895, 985607}, NULL) = 0
  clock_gettime(CLOCK_MONOTONIC, {669439, 367109540}) = 0
  clock_gettime(CLOCK_MONOTONIC, {669439, 372953587}) = 0
with increasing numbers. Rerunning strace filtering out these lines gives me
  brk(0x274d000)                          = 0x274d000
  brk(0x276e000)                          = 0x276e000
  brk(0x278f000)                          = 0x278f000
mmap(NULL, 1048576, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_ANONYMOUS, -1, 0) = 0x7f63a1673000
  brk(0x27b0000)                          = 0x27b0000
again, lots of brk with a few mmap calls.

Balsa is 2.4.11, and I'm using webkit 1.6.1, and my assumption is that some invalid html is causing webkit to get into some loop on the interpretation/display, although I may be completely off base here.

So - I'm looking for suggestions on troubleshooting, with the hope of identifying the specific HTML problem, and maybe finding a way for webkit to be able to at least not choke on it, and also if there is a way balsa can get interrupted so I can either delete the message or move it to a different folder, without having to do so manually, as described above.

Thanks for any hints or advice.

Jack