Re: emails that hang balsa

Hi Jack!

On 02/17/2012 02:14:03 PM Fri, Jack wrote:
Good afternoon,

I have now accumulated a number of emails that "hang" balsa.  CPU usage goes to 100%, and my only recourse is to kill the process, either with an explicit kill, or hitting the "x" button and letting the window manager terminate the process.

While I don't blame balsa itself, I'm hoping for some hints on how to troubleshoot, and maybe even find a way that balsa can recover without having to kill it, manually edit the mail file to remove the offending message, and restarting balsa.

Almost all these bad messages happen to be from airline frequent flyer programs (although I have had some from other vendors in the past) and all seem to be HTML without a plain text part.  Today's was
and I think most have been similar.  Because of the quoted-printable, I have not gotten a clean copy of the html to run through a validator, although I'm quite sure the html is NOT valid.  Unfortunately, I have had no success complaining to the folks that send these emails - their help desk folks have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about.

My guess is you're on the right track with webkit.  There's a post at <URL:https://lists.webkit.org/pipermail/webkit-gtk/2012-February/000944.html> about broken HTML that can hang webkit--it may not be the same as in your messages, so the patch may not help, but it's evidence that webkit may not be too robust.

Best,