Re: problem sending mails (balsa under Cygwin)

On 2011.09.13 22:46, Peter Bloomfield wrote:
On 09/12/2011 11:07:31 AM Mon, Jack wrote:
[ snip ]
However, while I'm asking, I have another issue, again - not sure if it's really Cygwin related or not. I clearly don't have gnome-keyring working correctly, so I would assume as backup, balsa would store my mailbox passwords in the config and congif-private files, but it doesn't, and I have to enter them every time I run balsa. (It does remember them for multiple mail retrieves within the same invocation.) Is this a build time issue, a configuration issue, or ??? It does seem to remember the smtp password, but not the pop3 one.

I'm in awe of your persistence in getting Balsa running on Windows!
See my reasoning in my other message - I really hate web-mail!!!

Re GnomeKeyring: Balsa does fall back to retrieving a password from the private config file if getting it from the keyring fails, but does /not/ save the password to the private config if /saving/ it to the keyring fails. In fact, we don't check the (possible error) return value from saving the password--should be possible to be a little more adaptable there...
I suppose this makes sense. However, I'll porbably file a bug/wishlist when I get home and have time. My reasoning is that most distro packaged versions use "--with-gnome" but some users my not have full gnome environments. However, if gnome-keyring fails, the user should have a choice of saving password to config file if that is the usual scenario, but not saving if it is only a transient problem.

My solution is that I will just use my own compiled version (based on the cygport file) modified to use "--without-gnome" in the configure stage. I don't run a full desktop environment (either gnome or anything else) using the cygwin X, and like that, balsa uses the config files just fine for passwords. What I will test again is whether it successfully grabs the password from the files if it doesn't get it from balsa-keyring. If that works - then I could actually use the packaged version, once I'm sure my ./balsa/config files are correct. (They rarely change, so writing is only an issue the first time.)

However, I should say that the cygwin-ports packaged version is likely to work just fine, if you are using the full gnome desktop environment. (And my thread on their list also has the magic incantation to properly start gnome-keyring under X if you don't use a full environment, kindly provided by their guru.)

Also however, I'm going home later this morning, so no more development work for now.

Jack