Re: Balsa questions

Peter Bloomfield <peterbloomfield bellsouth net>:

> Ouch--not what I intended!  Sorry about the lack of clarity.

No problem. I started over again, and found the missing link you alluded
to: the Maildir structures must be created manually before running Balsa
for the first time!

> there's no option to mark it as outbox; the only way to convert outbox
> is by manual editing, as you found out!

That statement led me to the solution! Outbox must not be a Maildir! As
long as I let outbox be an mbox, I can send mail out ok.

> I don't recall the rationale for that omission...

For one thing, it doesn't work. :-) But maybe it has to do with queing
order or something; mbox has an order, Maildir doesn't. Maybe it's
important to guarantee that the mail goes out in the order it is queued.
Another thing is outbox is not likely to grow very big over time.

Now two out of my three questions have been addressed. There's still the
issue that Balsa takes care of SMTP on its own (instead of delegating to
the sendmail client), and I need to get in between Balsa and the server.
But I'm hopeful I can manage that.

Next we'll have to see how Balsa handles the thousands of archived
messages that brought kmail2 to its knees...

Marko