building 2.3.28

I have been using balsa for few years -- the latest one, which came
with fedora 10-64, since January.  However, it regularly (say once a
day if I leasve it on) causes X to crash.  This is sort of okay, since
I do not need to leave it on all the time, and usually it is only a
small hassle to restart X.

However, it is starting to get slightly embarrassing as I am now
working with a vps server where I must maitain a persistant connection
to manage certian details -- if my connection is lost, the server must
shut down, meaning other users are also disconnected.  This will happen
when X crashes, since the client at my end is a GUI.  Even tho it may
only take me a minute or so to re-establish things, I have still
created a hassle for my users.  So short of running two computers,
using my email is now a risky affair.

Also, I would like to use gtkspell, since currently I have no spell
checking at all in balsa.  So I would much prefer to build from source,
which is what I do with a lot of software (I am a C programmer, I have
some gtk projects and my desktop at home is source built from gtk on
up, so using packages is sometimes awkward or undesirable).  I believe
I tried to build balsa once or twice in the past and failed and just
left it at that, but I would really, really like it to work out since I
cannot find ANY other viable GUI email clients for linux.  The latest
attempt was:

configure --enable-pcre --disable-static --without-gnome --with-gnu-ld
--with-gtkspell

and it crapped out here:

address-view.c: In function ‘lbav_entry_setup_matches’:
address-view.c:230: error: ‘internet_address_unref’ undeclared (first
use in this function)
address-view.c:230: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only
once
address-view.c:230: error: for each function it appears in.)

I don't really want to debug this myself and was wondering if anyone
had any advice or (egad) had actually gotten 2.3.28 to build!