Re: Choose signing key

Em 02-08-2008 19:43:14 Albrecht Dreß escreveu:
> Hi Bruno:
>
> Am 02.08.08 18:54 schrieb(en) Bruno Miguel:
> > I configured Balsa with the patch and with the flags "--enable-
> smime
>
> > -- enable-extra-mimeicons --with-gtkspell --with-libnotify
> > --with-rubrica --with-ssl --with-gss -with-gpgme=gpgme-config" and
> it
> > worked really well. :)
>
> Cool!
> > One thing: when I say filters for sign keys, I mean rules. My
> English
> > is a bit rusty.
>
> No problem, I'm also not a native speaker... ;-)
>
> Am 02.08.08 18:29 schrieb(en) Bruno Miguel:
> > Balsa as a simple address book, so that could be used, no?
>
> I'm not the expert for that part of the code, but afaik, Balsa's
> address book is just a rather simple frontend for several standard
> formats like vcard, ldif/ldap, etc.  While those formats may or may
> not
> support many different attributes for a contact, Balsa uses only a
> sub-set (name, mail address, etc.) of them, but is also able to /add/
>
> basic entries.
>
> The problem is that these standard formats probably miss the
> necessary
>
> extra crypto attributes, and IMO the first step would be an extension
>
> of these formats, which is by far out of the scope of Balsa.  I agree
>
> with you that the functionality you described would be nice to have,
> though, but we had to build the necessary "data base" within Balsa.
> Furthermore, the crypto code now relies exclusively on the recipients
>
> mail addresses, and passing extra information about *all* recipients
> downstream would require major changes.  So I don't think it will be
> implemented in the near future.

And what about using rules, just like filters are used, so users can
define one key to one or more addresses and choose if that key only
signs and/or encrypts? That way it probably wouldn't be necessary to
add any extra fields to vcards, etc, and (this is just a guess) it
would require profound changes in Balsa.

> However, if you know of any
> application which does implement it, please send me a pointer!

I'm not 100% sure, but I think Kmail uses something similar to adding
keys to be used with a specific entry in the Kontact Address Book. I'm
refering to KDE3 and not KDE4.