Re: 'Edit with gnome-editor' disabled?

On Mon, Mar 28, 2005 at 03:06:20PM +0000, Kacper Wysocki wrote:
> Cheers guys,
> everyone knows(?) that switching between vim and any other text editor
> can be a pain. I've been doing large amounts my of hacking in vim
> lately and so I wrote my last mail through balsa's neat 'Edit->Edit
> with gnome-editor' feature. However, after writing & saving my mail,
> and quitting the application (yes, gvim), balsa did not load the new
> text.

Hi Kacper,

Use the "set guioptions+=f" in ~/.vimrc

gvim has a nasty default of backgrounding after it's started and it
throws off a lot of newbies when they integrate it with other programs.

:help 'guioptions'
          'f'   Foreground: Don't use fork() to detach the GUI from the shell
                where it was started.  Use this for programs that wait for the
                editor to finish (e.g., an e-mail program).  Alternatively you
                can use "gvim -f" or ":gui -f" to start the GUI in the
                foreground.  |gui-fork|
                Note: Set this option in the vimrc file.  The forking may have
                happened already when the gvimrc file is read.

Cheers,
Andrew "Netsnipe" Lau

     Andrew "Netsnipe" Lau	<http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~alau/>
	 Debian GNU/Linux Maintainer & Computer Science, UNSW
				     -
		  "Nobody expects the Debian Inquisition!
     Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency!"