Re: Balsa not threading correctly?

On 09/20/2004 06:39:17 AM, Andreas Schmidt wrote:
Hi, I just noticed that balsa (still 2.0.17; just looked over changelog/bts though and didn'f find any mention of this) seems to have difficulties with threading messages. I first thought that there was something wrong with the message headers and wanted to repair the threading with mutt. However, mutt already did display the messages in the correct order.

I have attached two screenshot excerpts that show how mutt and balsa handle the same thread. If you need any other info, just holler!

Hi Andreas!

With jwz, Balsa threads messages first by references and then by subject. What you show might happen if:

- the original message's ID isn't listed in the References headers of the replies;
AND
- the subject in the replies has some character other than a simple space following the "Re:" (perhaps a "non-breaking space").

Balsa uses g_ascii_isspace() to trim off the whitespace between "Re:" and what it assumes to be the original subject, and it can be fooled.

Best,