Re: Subject length limitation?

On Wed, 2004-09-01 at 10:15 +0000, Pawel Salek wrote:

> > > MY impression is somebody pushes mail standards too far. I tried
> > > creating such a message and I got following headers (I am afraid
> > > balsa will wrap them so I will better attach such a message):
> >
> > According to my understanding of RFC 822
> > (http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc822.html), there is no length limitation
> > for an SMTP header field ('To:', 'From:', 'Subject:'....).
> >
> > Nevertheless, long header fields may be 'folded' (header field
> > splitted
> > in multipled lines) :
> >
> > RFC 822 - 3.4.8 excerpt :
> >
> > "For readability, the field-body  portion of long header fields may
> > be
> >
> > "folded" onto multiple lines of the actual field.  "Long" is commonly
> > interpreted  to  mean greater than 65 or 72 characters."
>
> I think you are right. In any case, folding should not split strings
> into two. It seems like a bug in gmime. Jeff, would you agree?

yea, gmime should definetely not be splitting tokens (although an adr-
spec *can* be split, gmime should not have split in the middle of that
long aaa... 'word' token.

I assume that's what's going on, right?

or is the problem mail created with another mailer and gmime is having
problems parsing it?

or both?

(I wouldn't be surprised by either actually)

Jeff

--
Jeffrey Stedfast
Evolution Hacker - Novell, Inc.