Re: Subject length limitation?

On 09/01/2004 11:53:36 AM, Laurent Cheylus wrote:
On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 07:40:00AM +0000, Pawel Salek wrote:

> >I've aleady reported this problem but it seems that it is not the
> >subject but the To: field which is limited.
>
> MY impression is somebody pushes mail standards too far. I tried
> creating such a message and I got following headers (I am afraid
> balsa will wrap them so I will better attach such a message):

According to my understanding of RFC 822
(http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc822.html), there is no length limitation
for an SMTP header field ('To:', 'From:', 'Subject:'....).

Nevertheless, long header fields may be 'folded' (header field
splitted
in multipled lines) :

RFC 822 - 3.4.8 excerpt :

"For readability, the field-body portion of long header fields may be

"folded" onto multiple lines of the actual field.  "Long" is commonly
interpreted  to  mean greater than 65 or 72 characters."

I think you are right. In any case, folding should not split strings into two. It seems like a bug in gmime. Jeff, would you agree?

Pawel