Re: gnupg/mailing list validation error

On 03/03/04 13:50:46, Albrecht Dreß wrote:
> Am 03.03.04 16:27 schrieb(en) Kacper Wysocki:
>> As expected, I have verified that indeed other mailers do *not* fill
>> tabs to spaces and people on my mailing list simply never use
>> tabs :-)
>>
>> An RFC reference would be nice from you email guru's, but don't
>> worry  about it, it's not a problem google can't solve.
>
> Well, I'm for sure no guru, but maybe I can give you some helpful
> information anyway... Basically a mta or list processor changing a
> single bit in the contents will break the signature - with a few
> exceptions. In short, changing a tab which is not at the end of the
> line to spaces or vice versa does *always* change the contents in a
> way that the signature will be broken.
[snip helpful RFC quotes and references]

> Is this enough ammunition for you to convince people to leave your
> tabs  intact?

It sure is. Thank you very much Albrecht- I appreciate you compiling
this info for me. Only one worry, though- signatures(the human readable
kind) are usually prepended with a "-- \n" - note the trailing
whitespace. I've seen it discussed many a time that mailers incorrectly
gobble the trailing whitespace, as this is a standard that some MUAs
depend on to, say, display the .sig in a different color. Is this the
case here with two conflicting standards, as the RFC states that
trailing whitespaces should be ignored?

--
I do not need HTML email, virus warnings or other forwards.
Get my GnuPG public key from pgp.mit.edu.

PGP signature