Re: 2.1.3 Discussion Points

On 06/04/2004 01:23:59 PM, Peter Bloomfield wrote:
I believe that a novice would be best served by making `hide deleted', `expunge on close', and `empty trash on exit' the default new-user settings.

I concur.

| Warning! This message refers to content at          |
| http://some.spam.com/some/image.jpg.  Balsa can     |
| retrieve it, but doing so may alert the sender that |
| you are viewing this material.                      |
|       --------------         --------------         |
|      |   Retrieve   |       |Don't retrieve|        |
|       --------------         --------------         |
|              [X] Don't ask me again.                |
| Warning! This message refers to content at the following locations: |
|      http://some.spam.com/some/image.jpg                            |
|      http://www.advertising.com/sales/medication.html               |
| Balsa can retrieve it, but doing so may alert the sender that you   |
| are viewing this material, and indirectly confirm your email        |
| address, possibly resulting in a greater volume of spam.            |
| Do you wish to load this content?                                   |
|           |      No      |             |      Yes     |             |
|              [ ] Don't ask me again for this content.               |
|              [ ] Don't ask me again for this sender.                |

Probably not the best phrasing, but then I'm an embedded programmer, not
a User Interface designer... 8-)

This would obviate the need for an "Allow fetching of online-content from people living in my address book" check box. The first time the user gets a message from someone they know that produces this warning, they hit the check box, and don't get it again.

If you wanted to get more extravagant, you could add a prefs page that contains a list of URL patterns to always load from, or never load from. Adding "http://www.business.com/associate/"; would always load anything that began with that pattern, such as "http://www.business.com/associate/latest/product.png";

- steve