Re: Preferences window

Am 08.07.2004 22:40 schrieb(en) Albrecht Dreß:
Am 08.07.04 19:17 schrieb(en) Darko Obradovic:

I don't want an endless argument, but don't people define their LANG in their own ".cshrc|.bashrc|.profile|whatever" in such cases?

'Cause they are usually not Unix expert users (like most others buying a disto off the shelf); probabely the majority of them doesn't even know that these files exist, what they do, and what syntax they need. For their level it doesn't make a difference to edit these files or .gnome2/balsa...
IMHO, from the average user's pov, there are only two user-friendly options (did you ever see a MacOS X user edit a text cfg file?):

The best would be a really bullet-proof automagic algorithm like Jeff's one, and maybe only one pref setting display "?"/guess charset. The second best one (and that's what we have now) is to give her|him control through a gui to select what (s)he wants to see.

Cheers, Albrecht.

I don't want to sound offensive, but in principle this option should be kept because people reading broken messages on improperly configured systems with display managers not offering language chpice should be able to change it through the GUI.
That way you'll hardly ever get the preferences clearer. But it might not be the goal anyways, so we should better end this here.

bye,

Darko