Re: Finding new mail & maildir problem

On 01/25/2004 07:46:30 AM, Foeh Mannay wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I often come in from work and find that I have 6 or 7 new mails
> waiting. Since I have Balsa in threaded view, sometimes the new
> mail is some way up the list which makes it difficult to find,
> especially if it's inside a collapsed thread. Is there a
> shortcut key to locate the next new mail?

Yes: ctrl+N should select the next unread message, expand the
thread far enough to see it, and scroll the index to bring the
message into the window (the last part sometimes is off by one--
I've never pinned down exactly when).

> It's mainly a problem because I run maildir, but I don't seem
> to be able to make new folders to put my mailing lists in. I
> know I'm probably being really stupid, but what I've been doing
> is mkdir-ing a new directory inside ~/Mail/ - that makes a
> folder appear in the Balsa folder view but I can't do anything
> to it, not even select it.

Balsa treats a plain subdirectory as a folder that will be used
to hold mailboxes.  Create a mailbox using File => New => Local
maildir mailbox... (congratulations on the choice of maildir!).
I always use the browse button to pop up the Mailbox Path dialog,
select the directory that's going to hold the new mailbox
(initially ~/mail), and type the mailbox name in the `Selection'
entry-box.  Then hit OK in that dialog, Add in the Mailbox
Configurator, and bingo! a brand new maildir, complete with its
tmp, new, and cur subdirectory structure.

HTH,