Finding new mail & maildir problem

Hi,

I often come in from work and find that I have 6 or 7 new mails
waiting. Since I have Balsa in threaded view, sometimes the new mail is
some way up the list which makes it difficult to find, especially if
it's inside a collapsed thread. Is there a shortcut key to locate the
next new mail?

It's mainly a problem because I run maildir, but I don't seem to be
able to make new folders to put my mailing lists in. I know I'm
probably being really stupid, but what I've been doing is mkdir-ing a
new directory inside ~/Mail/ - that makes a folder appear in the Balsa
folder view but I can't do anything to it, not even select it.

Any advice on either problem very welcome, because between Balsa list &
my local LUG the inbox takes a lot of mail!

Thanks

Foeh