Re : filter config head vs 2-0 incompatability

On 11.08.2004 18:01:22, Kacper Wysocki wrote:
Hi all,

this will obviously not be the biggest issue for you devs, but I have noticed that balsa-head doesn't read the 2-0 filter configuration section properly- filter patterns were 'skewed', ie if I had three filter entries:

1. balsa
 From/to/cc: balsa-list
   move to LISTS/balsa-list
2. bugtraq
 From/to/cc: bugtraq
   move to LISTS/bugtraq
3. openbox
 From/to/cc: openbox
   move to LISTS/openbox

mail to the balsa list would end up in the bugtraq folder upon checking mail with balsa-head! Indeed, opening the filter configuration dialog and accessing the bugtraq entry, the pattern would say 'balsa-list' instead of 'bugtraq'. All filters were similarily skewed. Opening balsa-2-0 again the filters were all still set up correctly. I fixed the problem by creating a separate config file for balsa-2-1 and rewriting the filters.

Now, to launch balsa-2-1 need to
cp ~/.gnome2/balsa ~/.gnome2/balsa-2-0 &&
cp ~/.gnome2/balsa-2-1 ~/.gnome2/balsa &&
balsa-2-1 &&
cp ~/.gnome2/balsa ~/.gnome2/balsa-2-1 &&
cp ~/.gnome2/balsa-2-0 ~/.gnome2/balsa &&

Now, the question is: since very few are likely interested in full configuration backwards-compatability, is it possible to include a commandline option or compile-time option so balsa-head reads&writes a different config file than balsa-2-0? Or maybe I've missed something and such an option already exists?

Cheers,
	Kacper

Hi Kacper,
actually there is some compatibility code in HEAD to try to retrieve filters from 2.0.x versions, though it seems that there are still some issues pending.
Bye
Manu