Re: Total amount of emails (IMAP)

On 08/11/2004 01:49:58 PM, Alexander Spanke wrote:
[snip]
I am working with a IMAP connection, and I already enabled this persistant cache option for my connection, but everytime when I start balsa, balsa has to rescan the complete IMAP folder. In fact that my folders have around 500 - 5000 emails in, this takes a long time :( I though with the persistent cache option, balsa would save a copy of the files locally !?

My experience is that access speed to large IMAP mailboxes is limited by the GtkTreeView widget of GTK: the server answers pretty much instantenously but the widget keeps grinding the data. You can verify it by running balsa with -D option. In my case, I see some amount of data coming from the server (in <30kb range) and then there is no data transfer but the index is still not shown. The slower CPU you have, the longer time it takes.

This problem can be ellevated by using so called "fixed-weight" property of GtkTreeView widget but last time we tried, it was still buggy and it was decided to switch it off. Relevant patches have been accepted and most recent gtk2 may be ok - I have not tested it yet. If you have recent gtk2 library and you feel like recompiling balsa #define TREE_VIEW_FIXED_HEIGHT in src/balsa-index.c. I have had excellent performance with it - until balsa crashed (I use gtk2-2.4.0 and it is not good enough).

Pawel