Re: gpg broken in balsa 2.0.10?

Am 2003.03.31 13:54 schrieb(en) Peter Bloomfield:

>>> Hmmm, I tried sylpheed 0.8.10, and that works. So I guess it's a
>>> problem with sylpheed?
>>
>> [O.k., talking to myself isn't very intelligent. Maybe I should think
>> before I type...]
>>
>> The problem is caused by the missing "micalg" parameter in sylpheeds
>> message header. According to RFC 3156, Section 5, this parameter must
>> be present, so balsa does not recognise this message as signed. We
>> might decide to remove the check for it as it is not used when
>> processing the message, though. Opinions?
>
> Keep the check! If Balsa starts accepting broken signatures, there's
> less pressure on other MUAs to stick to the RFC.
>
> You *could* be really aggressive, and pop up an error dialog that says
> something like: `Broken signature! The sender's mailer does not conform
> to RFCxxxx! Stamp out nonconforming behavior!'
>
> Or you could be less strident (does the world need more people telling
> others how to live their lives?), and just continue to silently reject
> it...

No, I just looked a bit around and found that there were many bugfixes in
the gpg-support of the last sylpheed releases.
So I would propose to process it with a warning in the hope this warnign
will never be shown 'cause everybody but me has updated sylpheed ;-)

cu
/Steffen

--
  /"\
  \ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign    | "The opposite of a profound truth