Re: composition paragraphs (2.0.12/Gnome2)

Hi Russell:

Thanks for giving Balsa a good workout!

On 07/07/2003, Russell L. Harris wrote:
> With balsa 2.0.12, Gnome2 desktop, Debian Sarge ('testing'):
>
> The blank lines between paragraphs disappear when the message is
> sent.  When I CC: myself, the message comes back with the paragraphs
> run together, except that each paragraph starts at the left margin,
> as it should.  RLH

You don't mention whether you're using Options => Format=Flowed, so
I'll assume you are (it's the default).  A line with any spaces at its
end is treated as `flowed', and combined with following line(s) as a
paragraph. If you create paragraphs and blank lines by hitting `enter'
as you type, Balsa trims off any such spaces, to ensure that the line
ending is respected. However, if you create them by going back and
editing what was previously a single paragraph, it's possible that you
leave a space at the end of the line, and it all gets reflowed.

On 07/07/2003, Russell L. Harris wrote:
> With balsa 2.0.12 on the Gnome2 desktop under Debian Sarge
> ('testing'):
>
> When I postpone a message and subsequently attempt to continue
> composition, I find that the body of the message has disappeared,
> whether or not I have pressed the SAVE button before pressing the
> POSTPONE button.  Also, when I highlight a message in Sentbox,
> Outbox, Draftbox, or Trash, only the header is visible; the bottom of
> the screen (where the body should appear) is a solid grey field.
> Only for Inbox are both the header and the body visible.  I am using
> the maildir structure for all mailboxes:
[ maildir structure snipped ]
> Is use of the maildir structure not allowed?  RLH

Yes, it is, and I'm using it right now for my trash and my draftbox,
and I can display messages just fine, and return to drafts without
losing the text (with RH9).  Can any Debian user suggest what's going
on?

On 07/07/2003, Russell L. Harris wrote:
> With balsa 2.0.1, Gnome2 desktop, Debian 3.0 ('Sarge', testing):
>
> The printer settings for units (centimeters, inches, etc.) and
> margins revert to the defaults each time the PRINT button is
> pressed.  Is there no way to save the settings?  RLH

Not that I can see.

On 07/07/2003, Russell L. Harris wrote:
> With balsa 2.0.12, Gnome2 desktop, Debian 3.0 ('Sarge', testing):
>
> There is a HELP item on the menu, and HELP supposedly may be invoked
> also with the F1 key.  But when I select the HELP menu item or press
> the F1 key, there is no response.  Is the HELP function not yet
> operational?

Help works fine for me (under RH9)--running Balsa with strace might
give a hint as to what's going wrong.

Again, thanks for all the reports!