Re: Lost 60 Emails

On 2003.02.28 08:54:44 +0000 Martin Klaffenboeck wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Today morning I've lost 60 emails with balsa.
>
> As Inbox I used /var/mail/martin, and this file didn't exist while geting
> 60 mails from my pop3 mailbox.  Balsa downloaded and deleted all the Emails
> from the mailbox and at the end of downloading and deleteing it told me:
> /var/mail/martin is not writeable.

Ouch, yes the pop downloader doesn't check initialy to see if the target
mailbox is writable. You unfortunably proved that to be a bug :(
However, with filters it gets harder than simply that ... I don't know
offhand if the filter framework checks that

> This is a really big bug!!!!!!!!!!  (sorry, I'm really bad today.)

You are right.
> I think, balsa should not delete the emails from the pop3 box, when it is
> not able to save the emails!

k, now for the good news, you should have /tmp/pop-?????? files
containing your messages. this are standard mbox type stores, you can
open them with any mua and retrieve your messages (or you can even
'cat >>'  them to your spool if you know what i mean :))
you should have seen a "Messages are left in XXXXX" message, that's the file
you want.

Software is like sex; it's better when it's free. - Linus Torvalds