Address book questions

I am curious about balsa's address book support.  As a long-time
GNOME and balsa user, I have used gnome-pim's gnomecard address book
for quite some time.  It seems that balsa pretty much depends on
gnomecard as its address book (unless you want a heavyweight solution
like LDAP).  Currently, gnome-pim and gnomecard are all but unmaintained.
There was once work started on a GTK2 gnome-pim, but this project has
not been updated for well over one year.  Many major distributions have
dropped gnome-pim as a package.

Currently, what is the recommended method for storing, updating and
retrieving email addresses when using balsa?  What are balsa's future
plans (considering the apparent fading of gnome-pim/gnomecard)?

--
Mike

:wq