Re: Re[2]: Balsa2 build stops with libtool error message.

On 08/31/2003 02:30:45 PM, Buckie wrote:
> Hey Pawel!
>
> It seems that I don't have on my system any of these files you
> mentioned: libesmtp.la, libpgme.la, liblinc.la, libxml2.la. I found
> some of the .la files in other programs' sources (in ports), but not in
> balsa2.
> What could this be? Sorry for my ignorance, I just really don't know
> how libtool works...

libtool uses .la files to manage multiple library versions and simplify
linking: each .la file contains information about libraries given library
depends on - so if eg. libesmtp.la uses eg. dynamic linking functions
(dlopen etc), dependency_libs of libesmtp will include -ldl. I do not
know why you do not have these files but it does not mean that your
system is misconfigured - libtool should be able to manage without them.
You might want to contact some FreeBSD people regarding this.

> So I guess these files don't just appear during
> compilation... Should they be present in balsa distibution or in the
> system? I even installed strace, but haven't yet run it since the
> absense of files is so obvivous...

strace might still reveal some information why the linking fails - try to
find out exactly what libtool is doing. Are you able to link other GNOME
programs?

Pawel