Re: Dependency problems

Am 2002.01.27 03:49 schrieb(en) Keith:
> I'm a newbie at compiling programs, so please bear with me. I'm running
> Debian Potato on an i86 box, using icewm-gnome (but don't like to use full
> gnome-session with panel, etc. I just enable gmc on startup to get icons on
> desktop.) I have Gnome 1.4 installed. I did download and compile libesmtp
> successfully. When I tried to configure Balsa 1.2.4, I received this
> message:
>
> <----------------------------------------------
> checking for a BSD compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
> checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... yes
> checking for working aclocal... missing
> checking for working autoconf... missing
> checking for working automake... missing
> checking for working autoheader... missing
> checking for working makeinfo... found
> checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of Makefiles... no
> checking for gnome-config... no
> checking for gnomeConf.sh file in /usr/local/lib... not found
> ---------------------------------------------->
>
> I don't know how to find out whether I have the programs and versions
> listed in INSTALL file (yes, I know, cluesless newbie) other than, if the
> Debian package is of the same name, checking dselect, or running <name>
> --version if it's a program.

it seems that there is nearly no package for building your own programs...

> I also downloaded the precompiled Potato binary (Balsa_1.2.pre1-1)

that's the right way!
But there is another problem:
The man who made the deb-potato packages has moved to Testing (aka woody)
I also think that many of the needed libs aren't avaible for potato :-(

So I would advertise to apt-get dist-upgrade to woody (just put "deb
http://ftp.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free" and "deb
http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable/non-US main contrib non-free"
into your apt.sources (perhaps change the servers...!))

There is already a nice and recent Balsa Version in Woody so after upgrading
you haven't to do anything other than apt-get install balsa !

But be warned: the dist-uprgade will take a while!

cu
/Steffen

--
/"\
\ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign     "Facts are meaningless. You could use facts