Dependency problems

I'm a newbie at compiling programs, so please bear with me. I'm running
Debian Potato on an i86 box, using icewm-gnome (but don't like to use
full gnome-session with panel, etc. I just enable gmc on startup to get
icons on desktop.) I have Gnome 1.4 installed. I did download and
compile libesmtp successfully. When I tried to configure Balsa 1.2.4, I
received this message:

<----------------------------------------------
checking for working aclocal... missing
checking for working autoconf... missing
checking for working automake... missing
checking for working autoheader... missing
checking for working makeinfo... found
checking for gnome-config... no
checking for gnomeConf.sh file in /usr/local/lib... not found
---------------------------------------------->

I don't know how to find out whether I have the programs and versions
listed in INSTALL file (yes, I know, cluesless newbie) other than, if
the Debian package is of the same name, checking dselect, or running
<name> --version if it's a program.

I also downloaded the precompiled Potato binary (Balsa_1.2.pre1-1)
available from the website, and tried to install that. Dpkg told me I
needed libgal8, libgnomeprint11, libgtkhtml13, and libpspell2 packages.
Only libgal8 was included in my sources.  Sources.list includes the
following:

<----------------------------------------------------
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
deb http://red-carpet.ximian.com/debian stable main
deb
ftp://ftp.ximian.com/pub/obsolete/helix/evolution/distributions/Debian . .

However, the last line doesn't work. When I go there by hand, I find
libpspell2, but the other two files (libgnomeprint11 and libgtkhtml13)
either aren't there or aren't recognizable by their package names. But
I'm left wondering why I need to get obscure, obsolete files to run
Balsa anyway?

Is part of my problem that I'm not running the full gnome session? Is
that necessary to run--or compile--Balsa?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Keith