Re: HTML images , spell check , window management bugs

On 2002.01.23 12:14:52 +0000 Brian Stafford wrote:

>> Actually, there is just one situation when we might want to show the
>> images, namely when they are embedded in the message (and identified by
>> cid: protocol, IIRC).
>
> Actually there are two methods of cross linking in multipart/related
> aggregate docuemnts - AFAIK one invented by M$, the other invented by
> Nutscrape.  Naturally RFC 2557 standardises both of them!
>
> Briefly, Content-Location: specifies a full URL that can be fetched from
> the internet.  A UA may check URLs in the HTML document against the MIME

garrr. bad. death, dishonour or something far worse is farther down this
path.

> parts with Content-Location: headers before attempting to fetch them from
> the internet.  This mechanism would have to be implemented as well as the
> cid: references as different UAs arbitrarly use one or both mechanisms when
> composing the aggregate document.
>
> IMO there should be an option to prohibit automatic fetching content from
> the internet; the empty images could always be clicked or something similar
> to fetch them if the user wants them.

IMO MUAs shouldn't be getting images from the internet. if the user wants that
he says 'open in browser'

> Just my tuppence worth!

my 0.02 EUR
Software is like sex; it's better when it's free. - Linus Torvalds