Re: HTML images , spell check , window management bugs

On Wed, 23 January 08:28 Pawel Salek wrote:
> On 2002.01.23 05:02 Ali Akcaagac wrote:
>> On Wed, 2002-01-23 at 04:09, Patrick McGinty wrote:
>> > When viewing HTML email messages the images are not displayed in the
>>
>> > message, only place holders. Is this a bug with GTK HTML or is there
>> an
>> > option that has to be enabled. I'm not sure what version of GTH HTML
>> > I have. I'm using the Slackware 8 distro.
>
> Actually, there is just one situation when we might want to show the images,
> namely when they are embedded in the message (and identified by cid:
> protocol, IIRC).

Actually there are two methods of cross linking in multipart/related aggregate
docuemnts - AFAIK one invented by M$, the other invented by Nutscrape.
Naturally RFC 2557 standardises both of them!

Briefly, Content-Location: specifies a full URL that can be fetched from the
internet.  A UA may check URLs in the HTML document against the MIME parts
with Content-Location: headers before attempting to fetch them from the
internet.  This mechanism would have to be implemented as well as the cid:
references as different UAs arbitrarly use one or both mechanisms when
composing the aggregate document.

IMO there should be an option to prohibit automatic fetching content from the
internet; the empty images could always be clicked or something similar to
fetch them if the user wants them.

Just my tuppence worth!

Brian