Re: Trash Will Not Stay Empty

On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 08:57:50PM +0100, Ali Akcaagac wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-01-14 at 20:52, Peter Bloomfield wrote:
> > Changes are committed whenever the mailbox is closed, so you may just
> > want to close a mailbox that you're not actively using.
>
> question.
>
> if i exit gnome while balsa is running, then i don't understand why
> balsa doesn't catch a signal and at least CLOSE all mailboxes before
> gnome completely exits. from what i know every core should support

cause gsm doesn't give us enough time to close mailboxes (think imap) and
goes ahead and kills X before we're done. mental note, investigate xsm stuff
and look for ways to stop gsm

> that stuff. e.g. sending a signal to all apps 'hey i shut down' so
> an app can react 'hey please wait i need to close some stuff' and
> the core waits 'oki close, sent me signal and i shut down'

xsm has a SaveYourself message which i'm not totally sure can be blocked.
ofhand, i recall apps delaying gsm mostly cause everybody is doing
saveyourself stuff and the system goes into a swap frenezin. i'm not sure if
the app stalls gsm or stuff just slows down.

if your talking about the system shutdown, no. init sends everything running
sigterm, waits a bit and gets on with it :)

If NT's the answer, you dont understand the problem.