Re: content-disposition attach / inline

On Wed, 20 February 19:25 Carlos Morgado wrote:

> On 2002.02.20 18:55:47 +0000 Albrecht Dre? wrote:
>

>> IMHO, a *real* file (not only text; think e.g. of application/pdf) may
>> always have the "attachment; filename=..." disposition type, opposed to
>> messages (message/rfc822) which sould always be inline. If I remember
>> correctly, this is requested by the rfc, but I moved recently and did not
>> yet find all docs again. Hmmm....
>>

> i don't get the idea message/rfc822 should always be inline from rfc2183.
> i get the idea inline/attach should be user controlled as it's meant to
> influence the way the message is presented.

I agree that inline/attach is a user preference.  It does seem rather
subjective as to which is the correct presentation in a given situation.  I
haven't looked at 2183 for a while but quickly scanning it just now didn't
offer any advice on automatic selection of disposition.  Most advice it does
offer seems to be for the receiving UA.

> i believe the best thing to do here is disable it till UI is written for
> it, and that's what i plan to do if noone comes up with a good plan

I think that is a good plan. :)  Without an explicit UI to select the
disposition it seems right, imho, that the main body of the message is
implicitly inline and files attached with the attach button are, ummm,
attached :)  Pretty much what happens now.

Incidentally, last time I checked nutscrape/mozilla attached content was
displayed inline without explicit user interaction, violating 2183.  Don't
know if this is fixed or not with recent releases.

Brian