open letter to pawel

hello pawel,

how do you think the future of balsa should look ? i am asking this
because there is no reply on some stuff that i posted on the mailinglist
for discussion. how and what way should balsa continue and how do you
see the future ?

i understand that you do this project for a couple of years now and you
do quite a good job but personally i think the development of balsa is
quite slow and a bit uncoordinated. please dont get me wrong, i remember
a couple of time back the plans on getting balsa on gnome 2 but really
nothing much happened till yet.

i almost lost interest in doing some lines for balsa since i dont see
much progress. the only really active ones are always the same people.
but we dont get any progress. the version numbers increase, a lot of
bugs will be moved from one version to another, new bugs are getting in,
the code looks like a dutch cheese. gnome 2 is nocking on the door a lot
of projects like evolution and sylpheed are starting to become better
than balsa. i often came up with comments hints and ideas about how we
could improve and change but often these mails are beeing unanswered.

is there any roadmap, any interest any motivation to get balsa port to
gnome 2 or at least bail out a lot of problems on current versions ? or
is there a need that we need to fork balsa and go our own way ?

look i am active watching the progress of gnome 2 and how much stuff
people do to get things working, even the claimed dead nautilus gets
progress, fast changes etc. by the same free programming developers. a
lot of code cleanups, a lot of progress, a lot of speedups etc.

i see that there are some changes in balsa code every now and then but
mainly changes, tweaks additions but no CODEFREEZE or no fullstop where
one can say. well until here and end, now lets go a new road. nothing
that comes from you (somehow we all expect you to say something, since
you are the maintainer of balsa) but nothing. actually no one really
knows what the plans are and what to do.

look jelmer did some more or less tweaks to get balsa running on gnome 2
but thats all and for sure not enough. there are a lot of people on this
list including me and some others that really BURN to get things worked
up. i think with a tad more project organisation etc we could get balsa
back to #1 (no its for sure not THE gnome mailclient no more)

well, i am not the perfect programmer but i think we all together could
manage it. seriously i hope you gonna answer me and i also hope that the
others write one or 2 lines for this too otherwise it makes no sense for
me staying on this mailinglist or contribute more stuff to balsa. well i
would also take a reply from you where you say that i should completely
piss off or something. it would disappoint me but life will continue.

oki whats up now ? all comments replies welcome. even those telling me
to fuck off..

--
Name....: Ali Akcaagac
E-Mail..: mailto:ali.akcaagac@stud.fh-wilhelmshaven.de