Re: Fw: Re: balsa sending window just hangs

On Tue 15:04, 30 April 2002 Pawel Salek wrote:

> Brian,
>
> Two questions.
>
> 1. What do you think about the following message on ECONNREFUSED:
>
>                 _("SMTP server refused connection.\n"
>                    "Balsa by default uses submission (587) service.\n"
>                    "If you want to submit mail using relay service (25),"
>                    "specify it explicitely: \"host:smtp\""));
						         ^^^ typo: explicitly
> Is it sufficiently clear?

Seems clear enough and accurate to me.

> 2. is libesmtp going to always return -errno on this kind of error? I could
> not see it documented anywhere and I would rather have this set in stone.

I'll check over the libESMTP API document, this sounds like an oversight.

As designed, smtp_start_session should always set a meaningful error code,
retrievable with smtp_errno, if it fails.  -ve values are taken from errno
just after the point of failure.  +ve codes are libESMTP's own codes and
include mapped resolver errors.  If smtp_start_session fails without setting
an error code, that is a bug in libESMTP.  So, for example, DNS lookup
failures will be always mapped to a +ve value and socket errors are always
-errno just after the failing socket API.

Just in case I haven't said this elsewhere, smtp_errno retrieves the most
recent error in the current thread.

Brian