Re: Filtering

On Thu 14:55, 11 April 2002 Emmanuel wrote:
> On 10.04.2002 15:16 Brian Stafford wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> is it possible to filter mail with balsa as it is read from a POP server so
>> that it is delivered directly to the final mailbox (using balsa's
>> filtering, not the detested procmail option).  I can only filter between
>> mailboxes at the moment unless I am missing something obvious.
>>
> Yes you can : create the filter, the select the Inbox and right-click and
> select the edit/apply filters menu. Then put the desired filter(s) on the
> right list and click in the "on reception" column to tell balsa to run the
> filter(s) automatically on reception. The click on "OK"to save the new
> associations. Now your incoming mails should be automatically filtered. The
> conditional is there because I had not actually tested this feature, but I
> guess others have. Anyway more testing should be great ;-)

OK, I tried this - this is what I'd actually set up.  Unfortunately, this
leads to duplicate mails.  What happens is this - the mail is collected from
the POP servers into the Inbox.  Then the filter is applied when delivery has
completed to move messages to the destination mailbox.  I have balsa
configured to mark messages as deleted when I select the delete option, and I
subsequently commit the mailbox to clean up.  If anything causes the filters
to be applied a subsequent time before I commit the mail I get duplicated
messages, however the duplicates have lost the deleted flag, so its not easy
to clean up the destination mailbox (Balsa duplicated 240 messages during
filtering this morning, aargh...).

Since I do not use procmail and do not wish to use it or any external filter
program (you will know from previous messages that I detest anything
programmed in modem noise) this is a bit of a problem for me.

It seems to me that the smart thing is to be able to place the filter between
collection from the POP server and before delivery to a mailbox.  I think this
should be in addition to filtering between mailboxes.

Thoughts?

Brian