Re: pop3/ssl

On 2002.04.11 02:19:32 +0100 Kurt Johnson wrote:

> Yes, I meant spop3, I'm sorry if I didnt make it clear
> the first time around. AFAICS, spop3 (port 995/tcp)
> uses stunnel to connect to port 110 locally
> (server-wise locally, that is). Most MUA's today
> support this, so I think it wouldn't hurt Balsa to
> play along too, and since it already supports imaps,
> imap over ssl (listed as port 993/tcp on my
> /etc/services) ... Even that devillish creation,
> Outlook *choke*gasp* and all its offspring supports it
> ;) Anyway, outlook aside, I think spop3 is pretty
> standard, these days.

there's 2 ways to do this, both are not present in balsa, mostly my fault
the stunnel way i disabled temporarily cause it meant spawning a process
from libmutt and we've had problems with spawning processes in threaded
builds. i didn't want to create another level of complexity there till
the current problems are sorted out.
the other way is actually implementing pop3s (like imaps) which seems
somewhat better as we control the SSL parameters but atm there isn't a
SSL socket abstraction suitable for non blocking code. in short, some time
soon 1 of the ways will be done, i'd certainly like
to have pops for 1.4. otoh i've been incredibly busy with other stuff :|

Software is like sex; it's better when it's free. - Linus Torvalds