Re: pop3/ssl

 --- Steffen Klemer <masterofheap@gmx.net> wrote:
[snip]

> Ok, that's a real reason!
> Has anybody a clue whether you can tunnel it with
ssh or so?
> Or is this ssl/gss intended for spop3?

Yes, I meant spop3, I'm sorry if I didnt make it clear
the first time around. AFAICS, spop3 (port 995/tcp)
uses stunnel to connect to port 110 locally
(server-wise locally, that is). Most MUA's today
support this, so I think it wouldn't hurt Balsa to
play along too, and since it already supports imaps,
imap over ssl (listed as port 993/tcp on my
/etc/services) ... Even that devillish creation,
Outlook *choke*gasp* and all its offspring supports it
;) Anyway, outlook aside, I think spop3 is pretty
standard, these days.

>> Oh well, I guess I _could_ use fetchmail but it'd
be
>> really nifty if Balsa could do it without falling
back
>> to (yet another) external program.
>
> It's only a personal preference, but I like it that
> way, one program for one task.
> That way you get many small, but good programs which
> really do what they are supposed to do...

Well, one could argue that Balsa, as a MUA, should be
able to handle all the mail related operations
(including retrieving it, which Balsa does of course,
but where could definitely improve). Of course, in a
perfect world we wouldnt even be having this
conversation, heh :)

>    >   > Thanks in any case.
>    >   > Kind regards,
>
> btw: try to remember putting the list in Cc when
> replying...

Right. Since we're all subscribed I'll just address it
to the list. Sorry for the confusion.

Kind regards,

/kj