Re: retrieving email (guestions by a newbie)

On 2001.10.31 00:59:04 +0000 Paul E Condon wrote:

> When I start balsa I find myself in a setup script that asks me for my
> local mail directory, and my inbox file. My problem is that I don't have,
> to my knowledge, an inbox file on my computer. My incoming mail is being
> held at my ISP and I must set up balsa to fetch it. What do I type in order
> to accomplish this set up?

1.1.1 is relativly ancient and definitly bug riden as it is the first of the
currently obsolete development series. rh upates should carry 1.2.x RealSoon
now.

as to your problem, i added a more descriptive error message on a later
version. RH doesn't create the /var/spool/mail mailboxes by default so
the config druid values don't work on a fresh instalation (the mailbox only
exists if you actually receive mail there, which is ok). your best bet if
you don't receive mail localy is to make inbox /home/username/mail/inbox.

if you search the list archives you'll find multiple discussions on this
subject

cheers

Software is like sex; it's better when it's free. - Linus Torvalds