Re: Some suggestions

Peter Bloomfield wrote:

> On 2001.10.22 02:48 Petter Sundlöf wrote:
> > Hi. Just a few quick suggestions/issues:
> > 2) When setting up a remote IMAP folder, also include the INBOX in the
> > tree (in spite of it not being in the ~/.mailboxlist -- Netscape and
> > Mozilla does it this way, and it makes sense)
>
> I think you can argue that Netscape and Mozilla are broken in this
> regard.  It may be convenient to see INBOX even when it's not in the
> subscription list--but then how does a user *avoid* seeing it?  INBOX
> is a legitimate argument for UNSUBSCRIBE, and the only reason for
> allowing this surely is to give the user the option not to see it.
>
> RFC 2060 is a more-than-averagely ambiguous mess, but I read this
> behavior as non-conformant.  Balsa could perhaps support it by having
> another checkbox on the `Remote IMAP folder' configuration window,
> labeled `Always show INBOX', sensitive only when `Subscribed folders
> only' is checked.  Any thoughts?

I was faintly aware of that behaviour not adhering to standard, but
given the fact that Netscape, Mozilla and Outlook all do the same, I
didn't put my thought into it :/

I of course accept Balsa following the standard.

But what I would want to see is a simple way to have a seperate IMAP
tree, including all my mailboxes, independent of any local
files/folders. The option you are suggesting sounds a good start. Then
there are many of the other points I tried to raise that relate to this.

Best wishes,
Petter Sundlöf