Re: Some proposals or the 1.3 cycle

On Sat, Oct 06, 2001 at 11:52:20AM +0200, Steffen Klemer wrote:
> Hi @ all,
>
> I want to make some ui-proposals for the upcoming 1.3 cycle!
>

> * than: the (a long time ago) proposed button: [please remember me to
> insert an attachment before the mail got sent]

again, i vote against. if need that, just press the attach button and keep
typing. the open file dialogue box will remaind you.

> * perhaps a backend that you can use the evolution adressbook?

evolution should be able to read gnomecard files. if it can't, it's broken.
anything in balsa to use evolution adressbook would be a bonobo thing, not
an address backend like the other. apart from that technical detail, good
point, it would have to be equated against "making balsa need bonobo".

> * perhaps a button/ a textpane in the identities window were you can see/
> edit the signature (not everybody want to open texteditor only to change
> the mobile number in their sig-> or perhaps a button edit which opens the
> gnome-edit (editor of your choice...) with the sig inside...
hum, good point.

> * once again: GnuPG support (I really need it)

the main problem with that is, all existing gnugp API suck miserably. and i
mean it. i've been meaning to look at the seahorse corba interface and
functionality. if there was a somewhat standard interface to gnupg *now*
that could be redone in a non sucky way later it would be good enough to
commit too. commiting to something like gpgme is a bit sick.
now the pratical stuff:
- 2 people (that i can remember) started doing gpg/pgp related stuff. i
don't think finished patches ever appeared
- before *really* looking into it, somehow i think gnome-vfs should handle
that stuff. i'm not sure if this makes sense, i should take it to the
gnome-vfs people.

> * a preference for all Mailboxes were you can set a default Reply-To addi
> (for mailing lists and that alike)
this is handled by the now evolving identity stuff. it will happen.

> * a preference for all Mailboxes were you can set a default identity
> (perhaps taht is even better than the one above ;-)
there is a default identity. it's the one marked as default in the
prefs->identities dialog :)

> * (in the main window) a new row: marked mail? (like new? and atachment?)
> and the order of the rows should be editable

hum, new mail and attachments are already marked. didn't understand that.
currently mblist and index suck cause gtk+1.2 ctrees and clists suck
miserably (they suck so much the evolution people wrote libgal - that's
prolly what you're thinking about)
making it unsuck will evolve gtk+2.0 or if that fails out needs libgal.

cheers

UNIX is user friendly. It's just very carefull choosing his friends.