Re: POP3 Audit

Em Sáb, 06 Out 2001 03:29:53 Peter Bloomfield escreveu:

> The problem is *much* more frequent when I have a slow connection to the
> IMAP server (> 500 ms ping time, for instance), so I infer that it's
> related to long blocked reads. I've never seen it on checking my POP3
> server, but the ping time there is always around 20 ms--do you ever have
> delays with yours?

ok, i've seen it too but so sparsely i always atributed it to gremlins
(ie. i couldn't reproduce it so i couldn't trace to cause)
my standing hunch is read is getting interrupted by a stray signal raised
by  another thread.

> I also have the *impression*, not backed up by serious observation, that if
> Balsa fails in this way, and I restart it immediately, it starts
> successfully, which suggests to me that something outside Balsa is
> involved--some condition that gets cleared by the fail. However, I may be
> fooling myself there...

like dns cache ?

> One last clue: a while ago, before some upgrade (and there've been so
> many!), I used to get a console message `program received real-time signal
> 32' when this type of failure happened; now there's nothing.

upgrade ? glibc ? glib ?

"Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the
grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin
charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what
they say if they had." -- Linus Torvalds