Re: RFC mailbox interface

Hi,

On 2001.11.26 11:59 Carlos Morgado wrote:
> i don't see any way around this except keeping mailbox handles at all time

Well, actually there would be ways - but they are too involved for my
taste. It would greatly complicate the message structure and require even
more nonstandard data to be added to mailboxes - might wind up having more
X-* headers than anyone would want.

I don't like software that shows deleted messages anywhere but in the trash
can. When I delete from my inbox, I want the message to vanish from the
index, because it would get too cluttered otherwise. So, for me, that is
not a viable option.
If a VFolder is a reference always, the user would not make assumptions
about the persistence of messages in it, so I guess copy-on-delete and
VFolders having real message data associated with them will have to be
dropped to keep things simple.
What I _do_ like, and would want to keep is the unique ID on each message
and a mechanism to load the "closest" copy, the one from the fastest
storage that has it available.
Also, maybe there's a way to track message moves and adjust the references
so that moving a message between _real_ folders does not make it disappear
from a VFolder. That should be possible to do if the requirement is made
that the VFolders (the persistent ones) _must_ be stored on a local
filesystem.

> and then you get fun situations like not being able to delete messages
> while being disconected ...

Right, see above, it would be possible to do all of that, but would cause
more bloat than Outlook has...

Melanie