Re: RFC mailbox interface

On 2001.11.26 09:38:37 +0000 M . Thielker wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2001.11.26 01:38 Carlos Morgado wrote:
>> 7 items ? you have references to the position of the message in the folder
>> ?
>>
>> remember, we are talking about deleting. you need to know folder,index
>> tuples
>
> Hadn't though about the case where someone actually would want VFolders to
> lose messages when the "original" is deleted - this would never be a

i believe this is the common case no ? if i delete a message i want it gone

> problem when the copy-on-delete option is turned on - it really wouldn't
> even be a problem if "move to trash" is on.... In either case, no deletion
> would take place.
> But, yes, after all I'm the one who always talks about _large_ folders, I
> should have thought about it!
> Still, the same problem would arise in a scenario where VFolders are always
> seen as references. Copy-on-delete will actually make it appear far less
> often.

no, with references you can mark the message deleted and keep it's entry on
the mailbox index (like you do now). all views that point to it view it as
deleted.

> ALso, I have stumbled upon another possible pitfall - assume a VFolder is
> marked copy-on-delete and persistent and is currently closed. Now, when a
> message that is referenced by that folder is deleted from it's source
> folder, the system has no way of knowing that the message should be kept
> around. Next time the VFolder is opened, the referenced message is gone,
> while the user would assume that this cannot happen.

i don't see any way around this except keeping mailbox handles at all time

and then you get fun situations like not being able to delete messages
while being disconected ...

Software is like sex; it's better when it's free. - Linus Torvalds