Re: RFC mailbox interface

Hi,

On 2001.11.26 01:38 Carlos Morgado wrote:
> 7 items ? you have references to the position of the message in the folder
> ?
>
> remember, we are talking about deleting. you need to know folder,index
> tuples

Hadn't though about the case where someone actually would want VFolders to
lose messages when the "original" is deleted - this would never be a
problem when the copy-on-delete option is turned on - it really wouldn't
even be a problem if "move to trash" is on.... In either case, no deletion
would take place.
But, yes, after all I'm the one who always talks about _large_ folders, I
should have thought about it!
Still, the same problem would arise in a scenario where VFolders are always
seen as references. Copy-on-delete will actually make it appear far less
often.

ALso, I have stumbled upon another possible pitfall - assume a VFolder is
marked copy-on-delete and persistent and is currently closed. Now, when a
message that is referenced by that folder is deleted from it's source
folder, the system has no way of knowing that the message should be kept
around. Next time the VFolder is opened, the referenced message is gone,
while the user would assume that this cannot happen.

Still, I think the idea is too good to waste and all these issues can be
resolved with a bit of thinking.

Melanie