Re: RFC mailbox interface

On Thu, 22 November 20:24 Kenneth Haley wrote:
> On 11.22.2001 05:23 Pawel Salek wrote:
>>
>> On 2001.11.22 10:56 Kenneth Haley wrote:
>>> Does the API really need getAllHeaders, getBody, and getAll or would
>>> getAll be enough and let the client seperate out the headers?
>>
>> Yes. Think of IMAP or similar protocol: You do not want to fetch all the
>> messages just to access subjects and dates. Actually, even more
>> fine-grained API would be appreciated (if only implementation is not too
>> difficult): getBodyPart(partNo) - to download attachments on request only.
>>

> Wouldn't that require MIME parsing in the lib?  I don't know how IMAP
> handles this but it's likely to be to much for a simple mailbox lib.

IMAP itself requires MIME capability both on server and client side.  A full
IMAP client library is a major undertaking; see the list archive for
discussion on why this is the case.

MIME parsing aside, Pawel is right to want a fine grained API.  If the mailbox
storage is managed by a server on a remote host (like with IMAP), fine grained
control implies less network traffic and therefore better perceived
performance on slow links.

Brian Stafford