Re: Balsa distribution formats

On Fri, Nov 02, 2001 at 11:29:27AM -0800, jon@tgpsolutions.com wrote:
> With all the recent problems people have been having compiling balsa, etc,
> I think we should re-organize our download page.
>
> It should look something like this:
>
> Source
> * balsa-1.2.2.tar.gz
bz2

> * libesmtp-0.8.6.tar.gz (download from libesmtp's site)
>
> Binaries
>
>   Redhat
>   * balsa-1.2.2-rh72.i386.rpm
>   * balsa-1.2.2-rh71.i386.rpm
>   * balsa-1.2.2-rh70.i386.rpm
balsa *should* be ok with rh7.x. it would need testing as the ximian people
have met some problems doing that. i'm not sure what breaks for them, noone
seems to know :)

>   * balsa-1.2.2-rh6x.i386.rpm
>   * libesmtp-0.8.6-rh7x.i386.rpm
>   * libesmtp-0.8.6-rh6x.i386.rpm
>
>   Debian
>   * ...

balsa has a debian maintainer. he's responsible for the official packages
that go into debian.

> Binaries should be compiled so they can run on vanilla installations (or as
vanilla+updates

> close as possible, if other packages are required, then the dependencies
> should be listed on the web site, along with links to download them)

rh6+ximian seems to be the only way as the rh6 original gnome is *old* :)
rh7.2 gnome seems vry nice (i didn't even bother intalling ximian :))

> The benefit of doing all this work is that beginners will be encouraged to
> use (and possibly later contribute to) balsa, since it is so simple to
> install.

there are some rpms on the site (aren't there ? :))) i have some rpms
compiled on the systems i use up on balsa.chbm.cx

> The obvious downside is that we'll need people to compile balsa... is
> anyone an expert on creating RPMs?

balsa has a maintained .spec file. if you go 'rpm -tb balsa-xxx.tar.bz2'
you'll get a neat rpm :)
actually, maintaining the rpm stuff is somewhat easier than the deb stuff
as one can be much more relaxed about it.

cheers

How do you hack?

[ Very carefully. ]
				--Phrack48