Re: Outbox traffic jam?

On Thu, 28 June 10:10 Raven wrote:

| On 2001.06.28 03:56 Brian Stafford wrote:
| > This is getting quite frustrating...
|
| Understandable. Would a report of progress help?
|
| libESMTP 0.8.2 has taken care of most of my problems. I still can't
| send
| out a large ( > 1 Meg ) attachment, though. Thre's lots of modem
| activity
| in the attempt and the dialog box reads:
| 	To: 250 <recipient address>
|
| Eventually, the mail gets shuttled off to the outbox. I suspect that
| there's a timeout problem involved, especially since I'm currently on
| a 56K modem at the moment and we are talking a span of minutes before
| things give up.
|
| Does this help?

Perhaps.  Bear in mind that SMTP timeouts only apply to inactivity
and are on the order of 5 - 10 minutes.  During message transfer
the client has an inactivity timeout of 3 minutes.  As long as at least
1 byte of data is transferred every 3 minutes the session will not
timeout, no matter how long a message takes to transfer.

In the Balsa Preferences/Display/Status Messages set Information,
Warning and maybe Debug Messages to "Show in List".  You will be
able to see the SMTP statuses in the "Balsa Information" dialogue.

Messages remain in the Outbox if SMTP errors occur, otherwise they
get moved to the Sentbox.  If there are errors I'd be interested to
know what the status codes are.  Perhaps the server had a reason to
reject the message after receiving its data.

Brian