Re: Outbox traffic jam?

SMTP servers are very common users of identd, I think they use it to put the true, supposedly unspoofed user-id in email headers. If everyone enacted firewall rules to simply drop identd packets, email all across the world would grind to a screeching halt waiting for tcp timeouts (instead of receiving an immediately obvious connection rejection).

Regarding chasing a non-problem: it *is* a problem. I monitored the tcp exchange w/tcpdump, and it's just not happening. It's not a matter of not acknowledging that the delivery happened; the delivery *did not happen*. No packets...until a long time goes by.

On 2001.06.27 17:44:03 +0100 Karl O . Pinc wrote:
> Wierd.  I just had a long delay and deferrment to the outbox of a reply
> to this message.
>
> FYI, The long delay's I've come across have had to do with ident
> timeouts.  Sometimes the server is trying to ident.

Beats me what use identd is to an SMTP server.

Brian